On Saturday morning, July 26,1879,on the road to Bolton (then called Iceville), six miles from the city, stood a weather-stained old homestead with blinds of faded green. And back of its tottering portico, under it mouldering roof, lay the victims of as gruesome a murder as has ever been committed in Fulton County. Martin DeFoor and his wife Susan were murdered that rainy Friday night, as they lay in bed, and though 73 years have passed, the identity of the slayer has never been discovered, not a satisfactory motive established.

The bodies, nearly decapitated by axe blows, were found at 6 A.M. July 26th, by Martin Walker, a grandson, who noticing that his grandparents were not up at their usual hour, went in to investigate. The old couple had not a known enemy in the world, and that robbery was not the motive, was evidenced by the fact that, while a bureau drawer had been broken into, a bag containing $18 in silver was left in plain sight, undisturbed. Several other articles of value were unmolested. All that was taken were Mr. DeFoor's wallet, containing nothing but some promissory notes, and his boots, which were later found in the woods some 400 feet from the house. In the Defoor home was an upstairs room, reached by a ladder, and rarely used by members of the family. Upon investigation, unmistakable sign of recent occupancy were found in this room. The bed was rumpled, as if by a human form, and the counterpane bore the muddy impress of a bare foot. In a lumber room adjoining was found recent human excrement containing watermelon seed, and evidence of urination in a basket of cotton. It was therefore concluded that the murderer has slipped into the house during the preceding day, and concealed himself upstairs until that night,when he descended to commit his horrible deed, and then departed by the back door, which was found unlatched from the inside. The axe was found in the fireplace, covered with ashes and blood. Near the spot where the murdered man's boots were discovered, were the remains of a watermelon feast.

Despite the best efforts of Sheriff William A Wilson, his deputies, and his successor, Angus M. Perkerson, the crime was never solved. Many suspects, mostly Negroes were arrested, but each clue ended in a blind alley.
----------------------------------------------------------The murdered couple were buried in a single grave in the Montgomery family cemetery, a stone's throw from their home. The obelisk over the grave is inscribed:                       
To the Memory of
Martin Defoor
Born Sept.17, 1805
Died July 25, 1879
Age 73 years, 10 mons. and 8 days

To the Memory of
Susan Defoor
Born Dec.2, 1798
Died July 25, 1879
Age 81 years, 5 mons. and 23 days                                         

Father, Mother
are sleeping here
lovely and pleasant
neath fair Georgia's lovely sky.
In their lives and in their death
they were not divided.
While their own loved Chattahoochee
near their grave is gliding by
in a boat veiled in deep silence
they have crossed death's darksom tide
and freed from every sorrow
Saints forever abide
got to get this corrected
Martin DeFoor came to DeKalb County from Franklin County during the middle 1840's and settled in the Panthersville District. In 1853 he moved to the old Montgomery settlement at Bolton, where he took over the operation of Montgomery's Ferry, soon to become known as DeFoor's Ferry. From that time until his death, DeFoor and his family lived in the former Montgomery home, one of the oldest in the county, and located on the west side of what is now Chattahoochee Avenue, just north of Moore's Mill Road. The house was torn down in August 1879, by Thomas Moore, a son-in-law of DeFoor who used the lumber in erecting a barn on his own place just across the road.
July 30, 1879