Montgomery Ferry

James McC. Montgomery acquired 1000 acres in this
vicinity about 1821. Owning land on both sides of the river, 
he had a private ferry until granted a State franchise,
Dec. 25, 1837, signed by his friend, Gov. Geo. Gilmer.
It was located where the Seaboard bridge now spans the
river & it remained the only traffic crossing on the main rd. 
from Atlanta to Marietta until 1872, except the war years,
1864-1865, in which the boats disappeared. Refugees
returning, post war, to N. Ga. & Tenn., had no means of
crossing until Thomas Moore & volunteer helpers, after
72 hrs. of incredible effort, constructed an emergency flat.
060-62  Ga Historical Commission  1956

During the War of 1812, the area of the Chattahoochee river, now known as Bolton, was a settlement on both sides for the Creek Indians.Standing Peachtree was chosen as an ideal crossing point to transport soldiers, traders and supplies back and forth.
Lieutenant George Gilmer, who later became governor of Georgia, was given the task of building an army fort near the mouth of Peachtree Creek. A bridge connecting the creek to Fort Gilmer was also planned. To accomplish this he needed the expertise of Major James M.C. Montgomery, who was at that time the superintendent of artificers in the army and had knowledge of such constructions. In 1814 the fort was built and the flat raft crossing system was complete. Military forces and supplies were crossing the river under the supervision of Fort Peachtree soldiers.

                 Montgomery Ferry
                        about 1900


After the war was over Montgomery decided to uproot his family from Jackson County, Georgia. He purchased 1,000 acres at the site of his river crossing project for the price of $100. He rebuilt the ferry and started a private river crossing project for locals who needed to transport supplies and livestock from side to side. Montgomery Ferry continued as a private business until December 25, 1837 when, then governor George Gilmer , granted him a franchise. See Article.

 In 1853 the home, ferry and 1000 acres were sold to Martin and Susan DeFoor. They ran DeFoor Ferry and raised their family with much the same integrity that the Montgomery’s enjoyed. As this was the only means of crossing the river, they made a good living and were performing a most valuable service to the community

The DeFoor's were in business until the early morning hours of July 25, 1879, when they murdered as they slept. They were laid to rest in the Montgomery Cemetery next to James and Nancy Montgomery. 

MontgomeryFamilyArticle.html shapeimage_4_link_0